Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I'm Gourmet

The downside to being six months preggers: I crave things that I sometimes can't find (or don't care to spend a fortune on.) The upside, at least for me: I'm suddenly a gourmet chef!
About midnight last night there were two things I wanted: a Stevi B's Loaded Baked Potato pizza and a filet with a mushroom marsala wine sauce and gorgonzola cheese.
Tonight I made the steak! It was absolutely fantastic! There wasn't a real recipe I used, I simply sprinkled the steaks with some garlic salt and cooked them on the stove in a little marsala wine. When the steaks were done, I removed them, poured the rest of the bottle into the saute pan, added the mushrooms, and let it simmer on medium high until the wine was reduced some. It reduced and thickened more after I took it of the heat, if you're going to try it. Spoon some sauce and gorgonzola on the steak and I served with some Idahoan Real Mashed Potatoes (best and cheapest instant mashed I've ever had!) seasoned with parmesan and garlic salt.
So I know being "parsimonious" means spending as little money as possible, and filets in a wine sauce doesn't EXACTLY fit that, but hear me out:
1. I'm pregnant. Which means I'm hungry. All. The. Time.
2. I'm pregnant. Which means my brain doesn't quite understand "logic".
3. When we were out the other night, filet medallions for one person was $30. I had mushrooms I needed to use or toss, I had garlic salt, I had parmesan cheese, AND I keep a stockpile of the Idahoan potatoes (which you can usually find for a whole freakin DOLLAR.) So, for the same cost I could have paid for dinner for just me - because face it, I'm not sharing (see #1) - I fed all four of us and we have leftovers! Suck it #2! That's totally logical!
Makes sense to me anyway...
Tomorrow I'm attempting the loaded baked potato pizza since the nearest Stevi B's now that we've moved is 42 minutes away. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment