Thursday, June 6, 2013

Chore Charts

So, at our end of the year Girl Scout Leader dinner a few of us were discussing summer plans. While I'm thinking, "my summer is so planned out! We have camp one week, we're signed up for free bowling and free skating and we're going to hit the $1 movies and definitely take advantage of our Six Flags/White Water passes!" A friend did a heck of a lot better... She has her days planned out! I wish I had that much motivation during the summer, but I don't. She had one TERRIFIC idea though! She said her kids will start with two chores each day, if they do them, they're done, if they whine about them they get more chores added. I LOVE IT!

Unfortunately, I can't just toss out chores willy nilly... I need something cute and crafty to write them on - duh!

So, I needed something that I could change daily - chalk board, white board, etc. In a stroke of genius (ha!) I remembered seeing somewhere that glass works with dry erase makers. I dug through the drawer-o-junk, found the one [dying] dry erase market we had, and tested it on my least favorite drinking glass - that one that somehow ended up in my cabinet, and even though I don't like it, I don't toss it... Anyway - IT WORKED!

Because I'm a hoarder, this project didn't cost me a dime! I had everything I needed... Sad, yet, economically and environmentally friendly!

The frames started out cheap and Burgundy. I spray painted both white, after removing the glass, backing, etc. Then one I spray painted light pink and one I spray painted purple. Holding a can of silver metallic spray paint 3-4 FEET above the frames, I let the paint fall onto the frames. This way they were more accented by the silver than actually turning silver.

For inside the frames, using MS Word, I used a font I downloaded a LONG while ago called angelic, set my margins so my page was 8x10, and typed "Daily Chores" "1. 2. 3. 4.", and my appreciative, "...thank you!" One, I printed in pink, one in blue, each to match the colors going on in their rooms, and both were printed on green paper. Why green? Because at this point, I'm not going to the store, I had green, it's in both color schemes, and it's more fun than white. Good reasons.

I used the glass from a frame to mark the size to cut the paper, assembled them all, and decided they needed bows. They're for girls, after all.

Of course, I had ribbon in the right colors. Why wouldn't I? What I DIDN'T have? Hot glue sticks. Damn. Tacky glue it is! It took a while to set, but it worked! I missed that instant gratification hot glue provides, but hey, I needed a good HOUR to pound ONE nail into a bedroom door anyway, so it all worked out... Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment