Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Grilled Tuna Steaks over Mixed Greens with Asparagus & Grilled Peaches with Honey and Vanilla Ice Cream

Hi!!!!

It's been, what, seven months since my last post? I would blame the tiny person who now lives with us, but let's face it, my posts weren't that regular before him... :)
 
BTW, meet Enzo:
 
Okay, so since this little person's arrival, my gourmet cooking has ceased to exist. My redneck cooking has, also. Really, all cooking that doesn't involve a microwave or toaster oven has ceased to exist, and those were rarely used. We have become quite friendly with delivery boys, though!
(Ahem, props to myself, however, for the huge Thanksgiving feast!)
 
So, now that sleep is happening and I'm getting some energy back, I SOOOO want to cook! And I want to cook (somewhat) healthy meals because, well, nearly three months post-partum I can barely squeeze my bottom half into a pair of jeans. I did once. They buttoned! I couldn't breathe, couldn't bend, and my phone wouldn't slide into my back pocket, but dammit they buttoned! No pictures. You're welcome.
 
So tonight, I wanted fish.
 
When I approached my husband with the idea of him grilling salmon (because we finally have a grill!) he rebutted with the idea of him grilling tuna. Deal.
 
The meal:
Grilled Tuna Steaks over Mixed Greens with Asparagus
Ignore the asparagus. We had it in the freezer and it was mushy and stringy. Don't freeze asparagus.
 
I wasn't sure what I wanted to put on the tuna to grill it, but I knew I wanted a ginger/soy mixture. I found at Publix, their Publix brand Ginger Teriyaki Finishing Sauce for seafood in the seafood department. It was great. If you have a Publix near you, try out their finishing sauces and butters. They're fantastic.
I also got Ken's Steakhouse Lite Asian Sesame dressing, just in case.
I ended up using both. If you can get the finishing sauce, I marinated the tuna in the finishing sauce for all of five minutes, then topped with the dressing after they were cooked. If you don't have access to the finishing sauce, just marinate in the dressing. The only difference I could tell was the thickness.
 
My girls LOVED dinner (except the asparagus, see above. We all usually love asparagus.) The dressing has a little bite, so go easy, but they ate all of it! They also loved dessert:
 
Grilled Peaches with Honey and Vanilla Ice Cream
I can't take full credit for that idea, I saw a picture on Pinterest. There was no recipe/directions, sigh, but they weren't really necessary.
 
Okay, so on to the "recipes"!! Quotes because there is no recipe, just directions!!! Yay!
 
 
Grilled Tuna Steaks over Mixed Greens with Asparagus
  • Tuna Steaks (4)
  • Publix Ginger Teriyaki Finishing Sauce for seafood
  • 1 Bag Mixed Greens
  • Ken's Steak House Lite Asian Sesame dressing
  • FRESH Asparagus
  • Garlic Salt
I had to use frozen tuna steaks, thaw them if you do, also.
Preheat the oven to 400 unless you're going to grill the asparagus. I haven't tried grilling it yet.
I spooned then brushed the finishing sauce onto each side of the tuna. Let marinate while the grill heats (and you feed and change the baby...) and prepare the asparagus.
Place asparagus on a baking sheet and season with garlic salt. Place in oven. Bake until starting to shrivel. We're real technical over here.
While the asparagus bakes, grill tuna to desired doneness. That's a word, I checked.
Pile a handful of mixed greens on a plate.
Top with Ken's dressing.
When tuna is done, place on top of greens and, if you want (we did) add a little more Ken's dressing.  
Serve asparagus next to the tuna and greens.
Delish!
 
Grilled Peaches with Honey and Vanilla Ice Cream
  • Ripe peaches, one per person
  • Honey
  • Vanilla Ice cream
  • Easy, right?
Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits.
Place peaches cut/flat side down on the hot grill.
Let cook until you have grill marks (again, SUPER technical!)
 Flip.
This time let them cook until the peaches are soft.
Drizzle honey on the plated peaches, top with ice cream, and drizzle some more honey for good measure. Add a little more honey. It's fantastic on the ice cream.
 
Okay, sooo..... Gourmet may be a little bit of a stretch for this one, considering how little effort was actually put in. And how few ingredients. And the fact that Publix and Ken's Steakhouse actually did the measuring and mixing.. Oh well, I say it's gourmet.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! Enzo looks absolutely adorable! Anyway, that was some sweet compromise with your husband. The result looks delicious. I love tuna in whatever form it takes, but grilled tuna would always have a special place in my heart, and of course my belly. Hahaha! That dessert with the peaches and ice cream looks good too. I'm sure to try both of your recipes out. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Kathryn Richardson @ Mikuni Sushi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn! He gets more adorable every day! :) Have you tried the recipes yet? I'm curious what you thought! Thanks for reading!!

      Delete